Uaru's Diary

I admit I never wrote a blog before, so I have not a final concept what I will write about. I am interested in computer science, aquaristics, Japanese and I will put comments on those topics. If you find it interesting, I will be glad.

Name:
Location: Poland

Monday, December 08, 2008

Devoxx 2008: A few words about Scala

Today is the first day of the Devoxx conference. University. A set of some lectures and short presentations of the new technologies.

The first lecture I am going to attend is the lecture on Scala. This is a new language, and I wanted to learn a little bit about it. It is a hybrid language, combining the functional paradigm and objective paradigm.

This is not my first contact with the functional programming paradigm. I have learned to program in SML, and also took some lessons in the mathematical fundations of the functional programming.

This is my first contact with the language. I really did not come with the idea of learning Scala - it is impossible in just a few hours. I just wanted to get a taste of the language in a much more entertaining way than reading manuals. I hate reading manuals, and recently I do not have time for it. And I was not dissapointed.

The talk was brilliant and entertaining. Bill Venners and Ted Neward were really good speakers. They interweaved with so many jokes that it was not possible to be bored for a single minute. And their lecture was also very informative.

Scala is not the first language to combine those paradigm. The implementations of the pure functional languages contained some elements of imperative programming. There were also languages that officially mixed those paradimgs. I have to mention Nemerle, the language designed at my university (www.nemerle.org).

I will comment more on Scala later on. Some useful links:

Scala webpage:
http://www.scala-lang.org

Anyway, it is fun to be at a conference, where the speaker introduces himself "I am a big geek. Any questions?".

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home